Man Utd eye Bale in $200m back-up plan; Liverpool to sign 17yo wonderkid: Rumour Millby Dan Brookes, Jon Boon and William Pugh
Manchester United are set to give up on their chase of Jadon Sancho and could turn to Gareth Bale to fill the void.
Meanwhile, Liverpool are expected to sign on a 17-year old wonderkid.
Welcome to the latest Rumour Mill...
Watch European Football with beIN SPORTS and ESPN on Kayo. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >
BALE IN UNITED’S SIGHTS AS SANCHO REPLACEMENT
Manchester United could swoop for Real Madrid outcast Gareth Bale if they miss out on Jadon Sancho, according to reports.
United are looking increasingly unlikely to prise Sancho away from Borussia Dortmund before the end of the transfer window, having missed the German club’s August 10 deadline to meet their £109million ($A200m) asking price for the England international.
The Daily Star claims United will instead turn their attention to out-of-favour Real Madrid star Bale, who is free to leave the Spanish capital.
Real are reportedly so desperate to offload the 31-year-old they could agree to pay half of his £600,000-a-week ($A1.05m) wages to force through a move.
The Welshman made just 14 starts for Los Blancos last season and has grown increasingly frustrated over his lack of playing time.
Bale has a contract at the Bernabeu until 2022 and Real would accept as little as £22million ($A39m) for the ex-Tottenham forward.
United would prefer to take Bale on loan, with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer believing a move for the four-time Champions League winner could turn his side into genuine title contenders.
The Wales captain, 31, came close to leaving Madrid for Chinese side Jiangsu Suning last summer only for Real to block the move at the last minute.
Bale made clear his desire to leave the Spanish champions while on international duty last week, despite previous reports he could decide to run down his contract on the Bernabeu sidelines.
He told Sky Sports: “What can I say? I want to play football.
“I am still motivated to play football so I guess it is on the club really.
“I can’t do anything, they are in control of everything.
“I have a contract so all I can do is carry on what I am doing and hopefully something comes up.
“It is in the club’s hands and they have made things very difficult to be honest.”
LIVERPOOL LOOK TO SIGN ON 17YO WONDERKID
Premier League champions Liverpool are set to make their second summer transfer signing of the season.
The Reds have agreed a £1.8million ($A3.2m) deal for Fluminense goalkeeper Marcelo Pitaluga, according to reports in Brazil.
Jurgen Klopp’s men are said to have been monitoring the 17-year-old for several months, and have been in talks with the Brazilian club for three weeks - already having one bid turned down.
But Brazilian news outlet Globo Esporte say that Liverpool have made a second bid of £930,000 ($A1.6m) for the teenager, with another £930,000 ($A1.6m) due IF Pitaluga triggers performance-related add-ons.
Fluminense were reluctant to sell Pitaluga, but the new offer was too good to refuse.
The shotstopper is now set to fly to Liverpool and put pen to paper on a three-year contract.
There’s also an option for a further two years, should Pitaluga be a success at Anfield.
The deal was pushed through more smoothly, without the need for work permits, because the Brazilian holds a German passport.
MAN UTD’S BIG BOOST IN $47M PURSUIT
Manchester United’s pursuit of Sergio Reguilon has been given a huge boost with Sevilla reportedly closing in on a replacement left-back.
Sporting Lisbon’s Marcos Acuna is said to be in advanced talks with the LaLiga side who appear to have given up on the chance of signing Reguilon from Real Madrid permanently.
United are said to be plotting a move for the £27million ($A47m) rated 23-year-old who spent last season on loan at Sevilla from Real.
And he would, reportedly, “love” to move to Old Trafford.
With Sevilla close to landing 28-year-old Argentine Acuna - according to Portuguese outlet A Bola - there is now “no chance” of Reguilon going back on a permanent basis.
However United are said to be unwilling to pay Real Madrid’s £27.7m asking price.
The defender is free to leave the Bernabeu this summer after his one-season loan.
And Zinedine Zidane does not think he is ready for a place in his squad.
Reguilon is behind Ferland Mendy and Marcelo in the pecking order at the Bernabeu.
That is despite his hugely impressive campaign where he helped Sevilla to Europa League glory.
Although Real Madrid value him at £27m, they would reportedly be willing to let him leave for around £22m.
Chelsea were interested at one stage but instead opted for Leicester’s Ben Chilwell in a £50m deal.
Old Trafford boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is keen to bolster his options at left-back and provide competition for places.
Luke Shaw remains injury prone while Brandon Williams is regarded as one for the future after his breakthrough campaign.
United are likely to face competition across Europe with Juventus and Inter Milan interested.
This article first appeared on The Sun and was reproduced with permission.