'Quiet' homeless man 'beaten to death' on Madison Lane in Kilmainham, Dublin
It is understood gardai are attempting to contact his familyby Liz Farsaci
A murder investigation is underway after a homeless man was seemingly beaten to death in a violent street attack in a south Dublin laneway.
A 16-year-old boy has been arrested in relation to the incident, which took place off the South Circular Road in Kilmainham, Dublin 8, at about 1.30am on Monday morning.
He remains in garda custody and can be questioned for up to 24 hours.
It is understood that the victim, a foreign national in his 40s, was attacked and his mobile phone was stolen.
He sustained serious injuries and died at the scene.
The area was sealed off by gardai for a technical examination and the State Pathologist was notified.
The man’s body remained at the laneway, which lies between Madison Road and Mayfield Road, this morning while a forensic team examined the scene.
The body of the man, who has been described as a respectful, quiet person, was then removed by ambulance shortly before 11.30am on Monday morning.
It is understood gardai are attempting to contact his family.
At the time of the attack, a number of teenagers were in the area and a 16-year-old boy was arrested near the scene.
He is being questioned at Kevin Street Garda Station in the south inner city.
An incident room has been set up at Kevin Street and a senior investigating officer has been appointed.
Gardai are following a definite line of enquiry.
Sign-up for the Irish Mirror newsletter
Sign up for our newsletter today!
Simply pop your e-mail into the box at the top of this article (this won't work while using the Irish Mirror app) and get all the latest news and entertainment direct to you
Every day we'll send you a roundup e-mail of all the latest news. Local Irish news, UK and international news, local and national Sport and entertainment news , all in one handy e-mail.
You can unsubscribe from this service at any time. And rest assured that your data will not be shared with any other party.
Tony Walsh, founder and CEO of the Feed Our Homeless charity, said no one should have to lose their life in such a horrific and violent manner.
Mr Walsh told the Irish Mirror: “This man was known to us as he used our Outreach Support services regularly.
“He was a very quiet, respectful and mannerly man.
“FOH would like to send our sincere condolences to the family and friends of the homeless man who just lost his life to the streets in the early hours of this morning.
“Nobody should have to lose their life like this.”
Meanwhile, many locals in the leafy residential area, which is just beside the New Children’s Hospital, were shocked and horrified as news of the murder spread.
Many were surprised that such a vicious attack could take place in what many see as a relatively safe area.
One local man said he always thought of the area as a safe place, and said he would often go walk the lane where the victim was attacked to get to the shops.
A new resident in the area, Paul McDonald, said the murder was “very surprising”.
Another man, whose house is just round the corner from the scene of the attack, said he was in shock.
He said he didn’t hear anything at the time of the attack, though he added that he had seen a number of teenagers hanging out around the shops lately.
But another man, David Carr, from nearby Rialto, said the area had been “plagued by teenage gangs” in the past few months.
He said that groups of teenagers would often go around the area on their bicycles, attacking anyone who is different, such as immigrants.
He said the groups are “very arrogant” and there is “lots of intimidation”.
He added that he does not know whether any of the teenagers that he has seen in the area are connected to the murder.
Gardai are appealing for any witnesses who may have seen or heard anything between 11pm and 2am on the night in question.